Saturday, August 2, 2014

Competition Day 3 - Flight and a Chia Power Health Nugget!


Day 2 & 3 of my competition and it's off to a great start! I did T25 Cardio and Piyo Sweat for a total of an hour and 5 minutes yesterday. Today I did T25 Total Body Circuit.... It's not gonna be that easy on my heavy work days but that's the challenge isn't it? Whew!!! 

I've started using the free myfitnesspal app to aid in keeping track of my eating... I've done it before and it really works, but keeping track of everything you eat is so annoying and tedious! But oh well. It works so I'm gonna do it... at least for now. (if you don't have a smart phone you can do it online too)....

Today Doug has decided to up the ante and take me for a flight...

 





Well since I have the time, and since this inevitably happens whenever I'm on a health kick, I shall share with you some knowledge... the power of the chia seed...


http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html - follow link to buy chia

This is what Chia looks like. Tiny tiny little seeds but so gorgeous when you look at them up close.
When you let chia seeds sit in a liquid, they excrete this gel that forms around them, making them excellent for healthy puddings. 

Here are some of the excellent qualities of chia...
Omega 3 (they contain more than salmon)
Protein
Fiber
Antioxidants
Calcium 

Some people claim that eating chia seeds will help you lose weight because you will feel full (because of the expanding nature of this little seed)... however there hasn't been any real proof that eating them makes you feel more full. 

But you should still eat it!!!

Omega 3 fatty acids are EXCELLENT for your brain! Unlike flax seeds, chia seeds can be absorbed by the body. They also slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars.. this means that they help control blood sugar.

here's what they look like after they've been soaking in water.

Here are some chia puddings that I made myself... it's easy!
Choose milk or your favorite non-dairy milk and add a bit of honey (or sugar) and 1-2 tablespoons of chia seed... stir well and then let it sit for a few hours... keep stirring cuz they'll stick together... (you can also add a small dash of vanilla). In the picture on the right I added some raspberry jam for yummy flavor. YUMMY!







No comments:

Post a Comment